Shefford restaurant owners fined after pleading guilty to not protecting food from pests
- Credit: Archant
Two Shefford restaurant owners hauled before the courts have pleaded guilty to food hygiene offences, with each admitting to inadequate proofing against pests such as rats.
Dalchini Spice and Xpress Pizza were prosecuted after failings were uncovered during visits by public protection officers from Central Beds Council.
Mohammed Chowdhury of Dalchini Spice, an Indian restaurant in Southbridge Street, pleaded guilty to two food hygiene offences at Luton Magistrates’ Court.
He admitted to not properly protecting the food and takeaway food containers against pests or contamination.
He was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of £2,650.
You may also want to watch:
On the same day at Bedford Magistrates’ Court Khawaja Naeem, of Xpress Pizza on the High Street, pleaded guilty to six food hygiene offences, including failing to have a satisfactory food safety management system, not cleaning properly, not having facilities for the washing and drying of hands, and not having proper pest proofing in the rear store. He was fined £2,700 and ordered to pay £1,000 towards the prosecution costs.
Councillor Brian Spurr, who holds the council’s portfolio for community services, said: “The council is not in the habit of prosecuting businesses as we would rather work with them to help them overcome any issues.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
“However, both businesses failed to respond to advice and guidance to help them meet food safety requirements, and when serious issues were then identified which could have left customers at risk, we were left with no choice but to prosecute.”
The council gave Dalchini Spice two stars out of five for food hygiene during an inspection last year.
To check a venue’s food hygiene score, visit ratings.food.gov.uk.