Shefford driver jailed after high-speed police chase through villages

PUBLISHED: 13:35 13 September 2018

Luton Crown Court, where Harry Webb was sentenced on Friday. Picture: Google Street View

Luton Crown Court, where Harry Webb was sentenced on Friday. Picture: Google Street View


A dangerous driver from Shefford who led police on a high-speed car chase through five villages has been jailed.

Harry Webb, of New Road, was also convicted of possessing class B drugs after officers found cannabis in his car after the chase on the night of Sunday, July 15.

Passing sentence at Luton Crown Court, Mr Recorder Gelaga King jailed 22-year-old Webb for eight months, and banned him from holding a driving licence for two years after that.

Webb was spotted doing about 60mph in a 30mph zone at 11.55pm in Arlesey High Street on July 15.

When officers pursued him and turned on their blue lights, Webb failed to stop.

He led police on a chase around Arlesey, Stotfold, Henlow, Meppershall and Shillington.

PC Chris Thompson, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire joint road policing unit, led the pursuit.

He said: “Webb crossed onto the opposite side of the road multiple times and went the wrong way around a roundabout.

“He had no regard for any other motorists or pedestrians that may have been around.

“When he went back through Meppershall, he made a hard left turn onto Fildyke Road and clipped the kerb on the other side of the road, which caused a puncture to his front tyre.

“Even then he didn’t slow down and was weaving through parked cars until the front offside tyre of the vehicle started to come off the rim.

“At this point I was able to drive in front of him and he stopped.

“We are very pleased Webb has been given a prison sentence as it was very lucky no-one was injured as a result of his recklessness.”

Webb was also convicted of failing to stop for police.

Last month, a 17-year-old Potton boy was charged with a raft of motoring offences following a frantic car chase from Biggleswade.

The car chase on Thursday, August 30, saw road policing officers pursue a silver Peugeot hatchback to Potton’s King Street – with the Peugeot seen to ram the police car twice.

Witnesses said buildings and three or four cars were hit during that pursuit, with a trailer also overturned. A petrol spillage had to be cleaned up. Police said nobody was hurt.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is set to appear before Luton magistrates on Thursday, October 4.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the The Comet