Abandoned car that made international headlines set to be scrapped
- Credit: Pat Roffey
An abandoned car that made international headlines after frustrated residents threw a mock birthday party for it is set to be destroyed.
Earlier this month, we first shared the story of how Shefford's Pat Roffey was so fed up with seeing the silver VW Golf she decided to raise awareness about it.
Alongside her fellow George Street residents, Pat covered the car in balloons, bunting and banners on New Year's Eve - with a slice of birthday cake the only thing missing.
The car hadn't moved since December 2019, but its interior has been filling up with everything from earrings to bottles of shampoo.
The news soon travelled far and wide, with outlets from every corner of the globe - including America's FOX news network and Australia's Drive.com picking up our news of the satirical birthday party.
You may also want to watch:
Central Beds Council initially said the Golf - which hasn't had an MOT certificate since March 25 - was in too good of a condition to scrap, although notices have now been placed on the car informing its owner it will be destroyed.
Pat's reaction was one of joyful surprise.
- 1 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 2 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 4 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 5 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 6 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 7 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 8 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 9 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
She said: "I can't believe it will finally go! We are very happy that something is finally being done."