Sexy texts to teenager lands engineer in jail
A MAN aged 36 who twice behaved indecently with a 14-year-old girl after sending her sexy text messages has been jailed for two years. Civil engineer Philip Hanson pleaded guilty on Friday at Luton Crown Court to two charges of sexual activity with a chil
A MAN aged 36 who twice behaved indecently with a 14-year-old girl after sending her sexy text messages has been jailed for two years.
Civil engineer Philip Hanson pleaded guilty on Friday at Luton Crown Court to two charges of sexual activity with a child.
The offences were committed in November, 2004, once in a taxi and once at the girl's home in Stevenage.
Mr Justice Beatson told Hanson: "The contents of your text messages show this was not disinhibited behaviour when in drink but to fulfil your desire for sexual gratification.
You may also want to watch:
"I am satisfied that although these offences do not bear the hallmarks of some such offences, they are so serious that only a custodial sentence can be justified.
"Also because of your disposition to commit such offences on innocent females the normal licence period would not be adequate to protect them."
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
He ordered that Hanson be on licence for an extended term of three years after his release. He must also register as a sex offender.
Prosecutor Michael Speak said Hanson was known to the girl's family and was staying with them one weekend.
When he was in the back of a taxi with her he touched the girl indecently. That night, after he had been out drinking, he came into her bedroom and began touching her again. She kept telling him that she wanted to go to sleep but he continued and committed an indecent act.
The activity came to light when she disclosed some details to an elder sister during an internet chat, and the older girl told their father.
It was discovered that Hanson had been sending text messages with a "fairly overt sexual element" to her since mid October - 29 of them on one day, said Mr Speak.
Hanson, of Barton Road, Harlington, Beds, was arrested but denied anything sexual had happened and tried to explain away how his semen had got onto her bedding.
But a week before he was due to stand trial he indicated he would plead guilty.
Ben Smitten, defending, said: "With the exception of this episode he has led a settled and hard working life. This has had a significant impact on him.
"He is ashamed and regrets his actions and is willing to undertake treatment or therapy.