Services shelved at Letchworth Library for two months
LETCHWORTH Library is now closed until November 2 while refurbishments and improvements are carried out. The work will include improvements to the public computer facilities, with five extra computers and a wi-fi facility being installed for public use. A
LETCHWORTH Library is now closed until November 2 while refurbishments and improvements are carried out.
The work will include improvements to the public computer facilities, with five extra computers and a wi-fi facility being installed for public use.
Accessibility will also be improved, including building a ramp to the children's library and an improved stock layout.
The parquet floor is being restored and the children's area is being carpeted. New issue and return equipment is being installed along with a new enquiry desk which will offer the Hertfordshire Local information service to library users.
Staff are putting together a time capsule to mark the library's 70th birthday year, and this will be hidden away in the building for future users to discover. The capsule will include library leaflets, a date stamp, a Summer Reading Challenge medal, a Bookstart certificate, a library membership pack and copies of local newspapers.
"We have tried to include something for everyone in the refurbishment - a more accessible layout of stock for readers, additional computers for IT users and a new carpet in the children's area," said Keith Emsall, a local county councillor and executive member for community safety and culture. "The Hertfordshire Local service will also make information about the county council and its services more accessible.
- 1 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 2 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 3 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 7 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 10 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
"Letchworth's heritage is also very important to the town and the time capsule is a novel way of identifying and preserving the valuable work of the library service in the 21st century."
He added: "These improvements are essential in order for us to provide the best service we can to our users.
"We do appreciate that it is going to be inconvenient for local people in the short-term - but we have made back-up provision with the temporary arrangements at Baldock Library which will be in place while the work is going on."
While the library is closed, a mobile library service will operate from the car park at Plinston Hall in the Broadway, Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm and Baldock Library's opening hours will be extended during the refurbishment.
The temporary opening hours at Baldock will be Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and 9am to 4pm on Saturday. Items can be returned to or borrowed from any library in Hertfordshire.