Security link for shops
A SAFETY initiative has been introduced at a shopping centre. An AlertBox system was launched for The Oval in Stevenage on Tuesday. The aim of the scheme is to increase security and safety for businesses and shoppers in The Oval by linking shops togethe
A SAFETY initiative has been introduced at a shopping centre.
An AlertBox system was launched for The Oval in Stevenage on Tuesday.
The aim of the scheme is to increase security and safety for businesses and shoppers in The Oval by linking shops together via an AlertBox.
The device, about the size of a transistor radio, can be used to alert neighbouring shops should there be a potential security threat, such as someone acting in a suspicious or threatening way.
You may also want to watch:
The AlertBox system is very simple to use. By pressing a button staff can notify neighbouring shops and they in turn can respond.
The user can send a warning to other shops letting them know about a nuisance, gang or theft or can request help in a more serious situation, such as a medical emergency, fire or a threat to personal safety.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 3 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Executive councillor for community safety, Bob Clark, said: "The AlertBox scheme will benefit both traders and shoppers alike.
"It will encourage cooperation between the businesses in The Oval shopping centre and make it a safer and friendlier place to visit and do business."
Stevenage police crime prevention officer Mark Montgomery said: "This is a very useful tool for our partnership working.
"It will increase the number of potential witnesses to incidents and retailers can respond quickly meaning they are already on scene when police arrive. Just by having additional help at an incident can resolve the matter. The AlertBox scheme encourages retailers to talk to each other and increases community spirit.