Searching for heroes
THERE is still time to nominate unsung community heroes – but be quick. In just over a month the third annual North Hertfordshire College Community Awards take place in the community hall in the college s Stevenage centre on April 27. The awards will reco
THERE is still time to nominate unsung community heroes - but be quick.
In just over a month the third annual North Hertfordshire College Community Awards take place in the community hall in the college's Stevenage centre on April 27.
The awards will recognise and celebrate the range of organisations and individuals involved in working with local communities.
Residents, community organisations, tutors and learners are invited to nominate themselves or others to receive one of the nine awards.
You may also want to watch:
The college has extensively expanded its work in the local community. To meet Government directives it is working closely with community partners to offer provision as part of the extended schools activities and children centre initiative. Over 5,000 learners enrolled on leisure and community programmes last year and the figure continues to grow.
The college recognises the outstanding contribution that the voluntary and charitable organisations make in the community, to provide opportunities for individuals to develop personal and professional skills in a place and at a time that meet individual needs.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 9 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Adult and community learning manager Katrina Kozuch said: "We are delighted to see so many individuals and organisations striving to add value to their communities in so many ways. The community awards are an excellent way to reward these unsung heroes."
The nine award categories are:
* Against All Odds Award
* Community Youth Initiatives Award
* Community Award for Training in the Voluntary and Community Sector
* Community Schools Award
* Contribution to the Local Community Award - Individual
* Contribution to the Local Community Award - Organisation
* Community Adult Tutor Award
* New Initiative Award
* Community Mature Learner
For further information and a nomination pack, contact the college's community partnerships team on 01462 424242 or visit www.nhc.ac.uk
To find out more about sponsoring a community award, ring the marketing team on 01462 424242.