Scouts from Comet country head for Africa adventure
A group of Explorer Scouts from Comet country have been honing their bricklaying skills in preparation for a trip to Swaziland. The Scouts, from Letchworth GC and Hitchin, flew out of Heathrow today with over 50 other Explorer Scouts on the long flight
A group of Explorer Scouts from Comet country have been honing their bricklaying skills in preparation for a trip to Swaziland.
The Scouts, from Letchworth GC and Hitchin, flew out of Heathrow today with over 50 other Explorer Scouts on the long flight to Johannesburg where they will then travel overland to help build a new accommodation block at the Swaziland national campsite.
The Thirst for Life project will be just one of many activities the Explorer Scouts and their leaders will be involved in. Each Scout has raised �1,300 in order to make the trip, and they will be there for 12 days doing community work and practical activities.
Early in the year a 40 foot sea container was filled with items which could be put to good use at the local orphanage and school and this has now arrived at the camp site.
Local Explorer Scouts on the trip are Joe Hartley and Matt Hart from Letchworth GC and Edward Gilder from Hitchin.
Joe, 17, of Fouracres, Letchworth GC, a Year 12 pupil at Highfield School, said: "It should be a really good trip. Over the past six months I have been raising the funds that I needed.
- 1 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 6 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 7 Rose: 'Five subs mean it is more a team thing and we've utilised that'
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 National award for Hitchin property company
- 10 The Nickelodeon Experience brings kids' TV favourites to Knebworth House for immersive adventures
"I organised an Easter Sunday car rally around local villages and also got help from Letchworth Lions and the Round Table.
"I am really excited and looking forward to the trip."
The group plan to visit the Kruger National Park for a short safari at the end of the trip.