School taxi on road with no licence
TWO taxi drivers have been prosecuted for being on the road without private hire driver s licences and driving without insurance. One of them was investigated when he was found working on a school contract without a correct licence. The other was found ou
TWO taxi drivers have been prosecuted for being on the road without private hire driver's licences and driving without insurance.
One of them was investigated when he was found working on a school contract without a correct licence.
The other was found out by a licensing officer.
Douglas Groves of York Road, Stevenage, appeared at the town magistrates' court last week and pleaded guilty to both charges. He was fined £300, given six penalty points and ordered to pay £100 costs.
You may also want to watch:
Steven Phillips, of Downlands, Stevenage, was found guilty in his absence of both charges. He was fined a total of £425, given eight penalty points and ordered to pay £150 costs.
In both cases there was nothing stopping the individuals from applying for the relevant licence, said Stevenage Borough Council which brought the prosecutions.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
Executive councillor for environment and e-government, Richard Henry, said: "We have a duty to ensure public safety and the licensing regime is designed to do exactly that.
"These offences are taken very seriously, especially as cab drivers have a position of responsibility and often transport vulnerable people.