School's letter to parents following gun threat
This is a copy of a letter by headteacher Mr Robert Robson given to Samuel Whitbread Community College students to take home to their parents this afternoon following yesterday s gun threat. The school told pupils and The Comet yesterday that they were be
This is a copy of a letter by headteacher Mr Robert Robson given to Samuel Whitbread Community College students to take home to their parents this afternoon following yesterday's gun threat. The school told pupils and The Comet yesterday that they were being sent home because of a burst water pipe.
Dear students and parents,
Firstly I would like to thank students and parents for the calm way in which students reacted to having to leave the college yesterday.
I took the decision, along with the school governors, to send students home early following discussions with the Police. Some of our students had reported concerns about alleged specific verbal threats made to one of them by an individual who is not connected to the college and does not live in the locality. This individual was subsequently arrested, taken into custody and questioned by the Police.
You may also want to watch:
The closure was a precautionary measure. Our primary concern is always the safety of students and staff and I felt it necessary to adopt the safest possible approach.
I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that this isolated incident was dealt with swiftly and efficiently, and at no point was any student at the college in danger.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
I hope you can also appreciate that we could not give details behind the closure at the time, as it could have caused unnecessary panic which, in turn, could have made it unsafe for some students as they left the school site and may have compromised planned Police operations.
Please be assured that we are monitoring the situation and we will continue to work closely with the Police.
If you have any questions about this matter, please don't hesitate to contact me at the college but I hope that you will understand that we cannot give details of this incident as it is still being investigated by the Police.