Scene of cash machine explosion at A505 petrol garage near Ashwell ‘looks like a bombsite’
- Credit: Clive Porter
A passerby at the scene of the A505 petrol garage near Ashwell where thieves blew up the cash machine said it ‘looks like a bombsite’.
Police were called to the explosion at the BP garage near the Odsey turning just before 3am this morning.
The Melbourn man said: “It was absolute carnage, it looks like a bomb has hit it.
“It’s terrible, but a sign of the times. You never know where they’re going to strike next.
“And it’s right on top of Christmas as well. It makes you think of the owner and the manager, by the looks of it they’re going to have to close for a long time.”
You may also want to watch:
One lane was closed by poilce northbound but has since reopened.
It is not known if any cash was taken and officers are believed to be still on the scene, with forensics collecting evidence.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
If anyone has information about the incident, call Cambs police on non-emergency number 101.