Sandy’s fire cadets crowned best in Bedfordshire after winning county competition
- Credit: Archant
Sandy’s fire cadets are officially the best in Bedfordshire after they came up trumps in a contest testing numerous skills.
Jade Allaway, Jess Fountain, Kieran Stevenson, Ben Watson and Reuben Matheron represented Sandy Community Fire Station in the four-way contest held in Ampthill.
And with tasks including using a fire hose, linking fire hoses and map-reading, the team from Sandy came out on top.
Some of the activities were chosen as part of the Duke of Edinburgh Award, as they were skills the cadets needed to practice.
The teams used sponges and bottles with holes in to relay water between buckets, pitched tents, dressed firefighters and mapped out locations of fire engines.
You may also want to watch:
Sandy’s cadets won the contest with 33 points, seeing off Kempston with 30 points, Leighton Buzzard with 26 and Luton with 22.
Fire cadets is open to young people aged 13 to 17. The Sandy team meets at the fire station in Ivel Road from 7pm to 9pm on Wednesdays in term time.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
If you’re interested in joining, come along on a Wednesday night, call 01582 875213 or send an email to email@example.com.