Same again for top pub
IT was cheers all round when a pub took an award for the second year running. The accolade of Pub of the Year for Our Mutual Friend came from the North Hertfordshire branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA). The pub in Broadwater Crescent, Stevenage,
IT was cheers all round when a pub took an award for the second year running.
The accolade of Pub of the Year for Our Mutual Friend came from the North Hertfordshire branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA).
The pub in Broadwater Crescent, Stevenage, won by just one vote, beating more than 250 hostelries to the title.
Licensees Keith and Yvonne Neville said: "We are thrilled to receive this cherished award once again, it makes all the hard work really worth it. People still view the 'new town' as devoid of good pubs and we're pleased to prove them wrong."
You may also want to watch:
The categories that are considered when selecting the pub of the year include the quality of the real ale on offer, the service and welcome extended to the thirsty visitor, the pub's sympathy with CAMRA's aims and, not least, its value for money.
The real ale campaign group's 2007 Good Beer Guide describes Our Mutual Friend as a "thriving community pub brought back from the cask ale graveyard four years ago.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
"Since then it has gone from strength to strength, now sporting six real ales, real cider and perry plus some Belgian bottled beers. A regular beer festival brightens up January.
"Locals drink alongside visitors who come for the good beer and regular pool and darts matches."
Our Mutual Friend is now entered for the Hertfordshire Pub of the Year competition. If it is successful, it will compete in the regional round and could go through to the national final.
Members of the branch and regulars at the pub celebrated its success at a presentation night on Saturday.
Runner-up in the voting was the Half Moon, Queen Street, Hitchin.