Musician reaches dizzying heights of international radio chart
- Credit: Matt Gifford
A Stotfold-based singer songwriter has topped a new music chart that champions the very best and freshest releases.
Self-proclaimed "busy boy" Sam Gifford reached the number one spot on Amazing Radio's Amazing Chart on May 23 with his latest single Gang of Thieves.
The track, which entered the chart the week before at number two, has received critical acclaim both musically and visually, with the accompanying music video filmed on home soil in and around Stotfold and Letchworth.
The 23-year-old has flourished over the last year, and has fondly recounted how lockdown helped him channel his creative side, resulting in "the best stuff I’ve ever written."
Dubbed a "big indie anthem" by BBC Introducing's Danny Fullbrook, Gang of Thieves is the latest addition to Sam's extensive back catalogue of music, with Charlie Ashcroft from Amazing Radio adding that Sam has "a very bright future ahead".
Speaking of his excitement when he found out his latest single was going to be played out on Amazing Radio, Sam told the Comet: "This is a station that I had been looking to get my music playlisted on for years!
"I already had a good understanding of their track record in discovering artists such as Dua Lipa, Tom Odell, Sam Fender and Bastille, and I was honoured to now become a part of that club."
- 1 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 2 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 3 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 4 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
- 7 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 8 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
He added that he was initially told that charting anywhere in the top 40 would be a "one off", but after what Sam called "an incredible turnaround from desperately trying to get heard", he's landed a well-deserved spot at number one.
Dreaming of one day hearing his music on the airwaves, Sam has come a long way since kickstarting his singer-songwriter career four years ago.
"This is a big moment for me." Sam said. "I feel like a have a lot of 'thank yous’ to say. Especially to the local community for really getting behind the track but also to my band, my producer and my dad who does a mean job of working the camera for my music videos and photoshoots! I look forward to sharing even more new music very soon.”
Gang of Thieves currently sits in the station's A-List playlist, featuring alongside big names such as Arlo Parks and Phoebe Green.
As much as the pandemic curbed opportunities of performing live and going on tour for Sam, the musician - who is approaching two years since his last gig - said that "one day, I will look back and be very grateful for my time in lockdown.
"It gave me a real chance to evaluate where I was at with my music and why I wasn’t where I wanted to be."