Sainsbury’s plan second major Stevenage expansion
Only two weeks after securing planning permission for a major expansion of one of its superstores, Sainsbury’s are holding a public exhibition this weekend revealing similar plans for its other site in the town.
Ink on the agreement by Stevenage Borough Council to allow a near doubling of the square footage of the Sainsbury’s Corey’s Mill site is barely dry, but the superstore chain is already revealing plans to push for a bigger store at Poplars.
On Friday and Saturday the Poplars site will exhibit artist’s impressions of the expansion which include a new mezzanine level with restaurant, an extension towards Magpie Crescent, a new parking deck and repositioned petrol station.
The plans would double the sales area of the store from just under 30,000 square feet to nearly 60,000, and create 80 new jobs, a supermarket spokesman said.
David Lazenby, Sainsbury’s regional town planning manager, said the planned improvements to the nearly 30-year-old store will improve the shopping experience for customers.
You may also want to watch:
“The new mezzanine level and increased store size will allow us to provide a greater range of products. This coupled with the planned changes to the access arrangements for car users and pedestrians will make the Poplars store even more convenient and valuable to our customers.
“Sainsbury’s is fully committed to engaging with the local community and would like to invite anyone who is interested in seeing our plans to come down to the Poplars store where the project team will be on hand to answer any questions they might have.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
The team will be at the store between 10am and 4pm on Friday and 10am to 2pm on Saturday. Questions about the scheme can call also be directed to Sainsbury’s community helpline on 0800 019 2205 or by emailing email@example.com