Sainsbury’s collection ahead of Letchworth Foodbank launch
A FOODBANK is being launched in a bid to help feed local people in crisis.
Letchworth Foodbank will open for the first time on Tuesday, October 9, after being set up by volunteers at The Trussell Trust.
Ahead of the launch a food collection is being held at Sainsbury’s in Letchworth GC on Thursday.
Volunteers will be collecting non-perishable food from the public at the store in Third Avenue between 10am to 4pm which will be used for emergency food parcels to help people through crisis.
“The current economic climate means more and more people are struggling to put food on the table, so we really need local citizens to give what they can to help,” said Jill Thomson, Letchworth Foodbank manager.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not just people on low incomes who are feeling the pinch at the moment, increased redundancy and fewer jobs are having a real impact on local people and all indications are that there will be a significant number of people turning to the foodbank for help.”
The official launch of Letchworth Foodbank takes place at 6pm next Tuesday at Fortescue Hall in Pixmore Way.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
For more information about the initiative call 07580 184586 or email email@example.com