Runners flip out at Hitchin pancake races
SHROVE Tuesday was celebrated in style in Hitchin when despite the drizzle dozens of runners turned out to compete in the annual pancake races. With pancakes not the only thing being flipped as some runners found the slippy conditions tricky, they made a
SHROVE Tuesday was celebrated in style in Hitchin when despite the drizzle dozens of runners turned out to compete in the annual pancake races.
With pancakes not the only thing being flipped as some runners found the slippy conditions tricky, they made a colourful spectacle as they raced up the High Street in the men's, women's and fancy dress races.
Onlookers were kept warm at the Hitchin Priory Rotary Club event with pancakes and mulled wine, with the proceeds from sales and individual sponsorship going to Garden House Hospice in Letchworth GC.
Club secretary Richard Butcher said: "We were very pleased that so many people gave their time to take part and both pavements were solid with people. We should know how much money has been raised by next week when all the sponsorship is in."
You may also want to watch:
The winners were Adam Vass from Top Marques in the men's race, Shelley Summers from Etcetera in the women's and Laurence Kabba from Premier Move in the estate agent's race. In the two fancy dress races, Neil Reynolds from BBR Architects and Dilpesh Shah from Foreman Laws took first place.
Best fancy dress prize went to Hitchin Fire Service, who completed the course in a cardboard fire engine while spraying water on the crowd.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision