Royal British Legion puts out urgent call for volunteer to ensure Poppy Appeal continues in Weston
- Credit: Archant
The Royal British Legion has put out an urgent call for a volunteer to ensure the Poppy Appeal continues in the village of Weston.
Weston’s Poppy Appeal organiser has stepped down, and Herts community fundraiser Kate Mackay is seeking someone to step up and ensure the village between Baldock and Stevenage still has poppies this November.
Kate said: “The Poppy Appeal organiser is fundamental to ensuring the village has poppies this November.
“During our collections we have a great sense of reward as people always have a soft spot for the Poppy Appeal and our cause.
“We need a main organiser who will order the poppies, organise volunteers and wreaths, and ensure we have the poppies in the village in time for this year’s Poppy Appeal.
You may also want to watch:
“We do hope someone in the area will come forward and help us by taking on this valuable role in Weston.”
More than 40 million poppies will be made and distributed this year as part of the Poppy Appeal in the UK and abroad.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
The Legion supports armed forces veterans as young as 19 and armed forces families in need, with help such as crisis grants, family breaks, benefits, money advice and sometimes, sadly, inquest advice.
If you’re interested in joining the Poppy Appeal team in Weston, give Kate a call on 07920 861161, or email her at email@example.com.