Route for Stevenage round of the Pearl Izumi Tour Series 2016 revealed
- Credit: Archant
The route for the Stevenage round of the Pearl Izumi Tour Series has been announced today, with professional cyclists in town to see where they will finish for the stage in June.
Riders Lloyd Chapman from the Pedal Heaven team and Jennifer George from the Drops Cycling Team joined Stevenage mayor Howard Burrell and Stevenage councillor Richard Henry in the High Street – where the start and finish will be held for the race on Monday, June 6.
Following on from the success of hosting a stage finish of the Aviva Women’s Tour last June, Stevenage will be one of just six locations on the calendar to host both men and women’s races in the 2016 tour – which sees teams compete to be the fastest in a one-hour circuit race.
Starting in the High Street, riders will turn right into Basils Road and then right again onto Church Road.
After the long fast straight of Church Road, cyclists will turn right onto Pound Avenue before the final corner taking the back onto the High Street for the sprint to the line. Riders will complete multiple laps of the 1.1km circuit during the races.
Councillor Richard Henry, executive member for children, young people and leisure at Stevenage Borough Council, said: “It was great to welcome Lloyd and Jennifer here today, the next time we’ll see them in Stevenage they’ll be whizzing down the High Street towards the finish line.
“We’re all very excited that the Pearl Izumi Tour Series is coming to Stevenage on June 6 and I hope the world class cyclists will inspire many future sporting champions from our town.”
- 1 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 2 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 3 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 7 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Golfers raise £11k to help sick children and dying patients
- 10 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
Race director Mick Bennett from SweetSpot, also behind the Women’s Tour, added: “Last year’s Aviva Women’s Tour stage finish in Stevenage was tremendously well supported and showed the support for women’s cycling in Stevenage and Hertfordshire.
“We are delighted that we can bring the Pearl Izumi Tour Series to Stevenage this Summer, and look forward to the town hosting both men and women’s elite races.”
The men’s event will see Britain’s six UCI Continental teams, led by defending champions Madison Genesis, in action at every round, where they will be joined by to be announced guest teams.
Details of the teams for the women’s events will be announced in the coming weeks, but will include two of Britain’s women’s UCI teams Drops Cycling and Podium Ambition.
Exact details of the timing for the races, which take place in an early evening time slot, and support events will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
Visit www.tourseries.co.uk to find out more.