Robbers strike at newsagent shop in Stevenage
A WOMAN was left very shocked but unhurt when two robbers pounced as she opened a shop early this morning (Friday).
It happened at around 5am at Martin’s newsagent and post office at The Oval in Stevenage.
A member of staff was opening up the shop when she was approached by the two men who pushed their way inside the premises.
They then gained access to a safe and stole a quantity of cash and cigarettes, which they placed in two black bin bags before making off.
One man is described as being around 5ft 6in tall, of medium build and wearing a dark hooded jacket with the hood up and a baseball cap underneath. He also had a dark scarf covering his face and black and white trainers.
You may also want to watch:
The other man was around 6ft 2in tall, of skinny build, also wearing a dark jacket with the hood up, and dark, possibly grey, jogging bottoms. They were hanging low at the back revealing his underpants which are described as being dark blue boxer shorts with a minty-green diamond pattern. He also had a white scarf over his face.
It is believed one of the offenders is black but has hazel coloured eyes.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
Detective sergeant Gez Ellis said: “The lady who was opening up the shop was extremely shocked but thankfully unhurt.
“We are appealing to anyone who thinks they have any information, no matter how insignificant they might think it is. We believe the two suspects may have been hanging around in the area for some time before the incident took place.
“Did you see anyone who matches this description in the vicinity either before or after this incident? Or have you been offered cigarettes in unusual circumstances?
“If you can help in any way, get in touch by calling 0845 33 00 222 and quoting crime reference E1/10/5008. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”