Roads in Old Town to close on Monday as cyclists arrive for Stevenage stage of Pearl Izumi Tour Series
- Credit: Archant
The cyclists of the Pearl Izumi Tour Series are coming to Stevenage’s Old Town on Monday, and cycling enthusiasts will have the chance to go around the circuit for themselves before the professionals get going.
Under-16s can take part in the time trial from 4.30pm, before the adults go from 5pm to 5.20pm. Camps Hill Cheerleaders will perform on the finish line in the High Street before the main event.
After the women’s one-hour race, which is due to start at 6.30pm, the men will take to the track from 8.30pm to 9.30pm in what is billed as the first ‘twilight race’ in the UK.
Councillor John Lloyd, the mayor of Stevenage, will give the stage winners their medals at about 10pm on the podium in the High Street.
ouncillor John Henry, who is responsible for children, young people and leisure at Stevenage Borough Council, said: “Cycling fever is sweeping across Stevenage and the community has come together to support the event.
“The excitement isn’t just on the track as we’ve got lots of activities for people to enjoy before the races start.
“I hope to see as many people as possible come out to watch the races and take advantage of some of the special deals offered by local businesses.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
Many roads in the Old Town will be closed on Monday to allow the event to take place. The High Street will be closed from 10am to midnight on the day, and Church Lane will be shut from 4pm to midnight.
There will be no vehicle access to Bell Lane or Drapers Way from 10am to midnight, or to Ireton Court or Grove Road from 4pm to midnight.
The Waitrose car park in Primett Road will be open as usual, and the car park next to it will be free all day on Monday, subject to availability.
Starting in the High Street, riders will turn right into Basils Road and then right again onto Church Lane.
After going down Church Lane, they will turn right onto Pound Avenue before the last corner takes them back onto the High Street.
To find out more call 01438 242206 or see stevenage.gov.uk/the-tour.