Rise In Retirement Age Will Hit Volunteering
THE Government s proposals to raise the pension age to 68 for younger generations will prevent people from volunteering in later life, a new YouGov survey suggests. Almost 70 per cent said they would be less likely to volunteer as pensioners because they
THE Government's proposals to raise the pension age to 68 for younger generations will prevent people from volunteering in later life, a new YouGov survey suggests.
Almost 70 per cent said they would be less likely to volunteer as pensioners because they will now have to work for longer.
The poll was carried out for national charity Volunteering England.
The charity fears that delaying the age of retirement could rob the voluntary sector of an army of older volunteers, leaving many public and community services short-staffed.
You may also want to watch:
Home Office figures show around half of retirees aged 65-74 - more than two million people - volunteer, devoting their spare time to good causes.
Yet the survey reveals the voluntary sector could stand to lose the backbone of its unpaid manpower. More than two thirds of people aged 30-50 - the group most affected by the proposed changes to pensions - said they would now be less likely to volunteer.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Christopher Spence, chief executive of Volunteering England, said: "It is of real concern that people believe they will not be able to volunteer when they retire because they have to work longer.
"Retired people who volunteer provide essential support to many public and community services.