Stevenage woman with terminal cancer set for cycle challenge after successful rickshaw appeal
An appeal to find a rickshaw – to enable a Stevenage woman with terminal cancer to take part in a hospice cycle challenge – has been successful.
The Comet publicised an appeal last month to help track down a rickshaw so that Heidi McNeill could fulfil her dying wish of raising money for Garden House Hospice Care, where she is set to receive end of life care.
In December 2019, Heidi was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer at the age of just 49 years old. She recently received the devastating news that her cancer has spread to her brain and liver.
Heidi now has a few weeks left of her life.
Supported by her family and friends, Heidi has set herself a final goal of taking part in a cycling event held by Garden House Hospice Care, which is currently supporting her and her family at end of life.
With an aim of raising £15,000 to pay for the hospice for two days, Heidi’s friends and family will lead her around a 30-mile course in a rickshaw – donated by a woman who would like to remain anonymous – at the Pedal for Pounds bike ride in Letchworth on Sunday, October 18.
READ MORE: Appeal to find rickshaw for Stevenage mum with terminal cancer to complete hospice cycle challengeHeidi said: “The hospice has supported me right from the beginning of my diagnosis. My family and I went to the Hawthorne Centre for an assessment and immediately felt we’d come to the right place.
“From reflexology and talking through our next steps, to counselling and phone support, the hospice family have to be the most professional and kindest people we have ever met, their dedication is second to none.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Heidi’s fiancé Simon added: “Please help by adding a donation to this page, not only for the hospice, but to put a massive smile on Heidi’s face.
“This will not be easy for her, as she needs oxygen at all times. Once again, please help us make this brave lady’s last few weeks one she can be proud of.”
To help Heidi reach her goal, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SimonRutt3.