Rhythms of the World to hold Hitchin events over festival weekend
- Credit: Archant
A SERIES of events across Hitchin have been planned for the weekend Rhythms of the World would have been held – but organisers are stressing it is not the festival returning to the town.
The world music festival has been cancelled this year after former venue The Priory pulled the plug.
But organisers still want to mark the event, which is why they have come up with a timetable of events over the weekend of July 12-14.
Some of the acts associated with the festival will be playing at venues including Club 85 and The Victoria, replicating stages normally seen at the festival, with a concert also planned at St Mary’s Church.
There will also be a fun day in the town on the Sunday, with a small stage featuring young musical talent, as well as a carousel, bouncy castle, face painting and other family-friendly activities seen at The Priory.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Rhythms of the World trustees, Amy Hopkins, said: “We’re working with some of our favourite musicians and local Hitchin venues to put on a superb summer weekend of music.
“It won’t be anything like a full festival, of course, but we’re keeping the spirit of Rhythms going in 2013 and it should be a great weekend.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
Organisers said negotiations for a future site are still in progress, with plans to relaunch the full festival at a new site in summer 2014.
To find out more about the events, including tickets, visit www.rotw.org.uk