Rhythms of the World 2013 cancelled
- Credit: Archant
RHYTHMS of the World will not run this year, organisers have said this morning.
The festival was held at Hitchin Priory, but its owners said the festival could no longer be held there after a muddy 2012 event.
Organisers had been looking for a new venue, but have not found one in time.
In a statement sent out this morning, they said they were hopeful of finding somewhere in 2014.
“It is with much regret that we have to inform you that there with be no Rhythms of the World festival in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
“We were told by Chartridge Conference Company in September 2012 that we could no longer hold the festival there. Since then, we have spoken to a number of landowners interested in hosting future festivals.
“However, considering it is now February and, despite our very best efforts we have no venue confirmed, the trustees and group leaders have taken the very difficult decision not to hold a festival this year. As well as not having a great deal of time between now and July, a number of key volunteers have stepped down in recent months (after years of long and loyal service) and we have not been able to fill these positions. Without these key people, we simply would not be able to raise and manage the income required to put on a festival this summer.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
“We know this is hugely disappointing news and it was not an easy decision. However, we are hopeful that we will secure a site for the 2014 festival very soon and will let you know when we do.”
For more on this story, see Thursday’s Comet.