Review of the Year 2012: October

A ROYAL visit, a gas explosion and the world’s biggest coffee morning were all making headlines in October.

•A “HUGE cycle lane” bemused pedestrians on a footbridge connecting the old and new towns of Stevenage.

White lines were painted “to stop cyclists careering into railings” by Herts County Council, although walkers using the bridge over Fairlands Way were seen making their way across in single file.

Neil Brinkworth said: “Pedestrians have been marginalised by a huge cycle lane. What was the council thinking about?”

•COFFEE lovers stirred themselves to raise thousands of pounds for Macmillan Cancer Support.

You may also want to watch:

Fundraisers were held across Comet country as part of the world’s biggest coffee morning, with raffles, cake sales and a silent auction just some of the ways money was raised.

•A COUPLE were almost killed after the car they were travelling in had its windscreen smashed by a large stone.

Most Read

Allan Bentley was driving along the A505 Baldock bypass when his wife Margaret saw a child dropped the stone from a bridge above them.

Mr Bentley, from Stevenage, said: “Had the laminate failed or the screen been less inclined the stone would have broken through the plastic laminate and my wife would have received serious head or face injuries.”

•ROYALTY came to town after a rescheduled visit was honoured.

The Duke of Edinburgh opened a business start-up enterprise in Stevenage after keeping a promise to visit the town.

Prince Philip had intended to make an appearance as part of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee tour in July but was unable to attend due to illness.

•MOTORISTS were celebrating after a plan was announced to open the A1(M) hard shoulder to traffic to ease congestion.

It was revealed that the �6.2m Government initiative will see the motorway’s northbound hardshoulder from junction 6 used by motorists from 2014 as part of a nationwide programme to keep traffic moving.

•A BUSY pub had to be evacuated after a boiler exploded and caught fire.

Five people enjoying a Friday night out at The Standing Order JD Wetherspoon pub in Stevenage High Street were assessed by paramedics following the explosion, but no one required hospital treatment.

A spokesman for the pub chain said a gas leak in the boiler was believed to have caused the blaze.

For a gallery of photos from the month click on the link at the top right of the page, and check back later today (Friday) to see what happened in November.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter