RESULT: The best Christmas house in Comet country
AFTER hundreds of votes were cast, The Comet can now reveal the winner of the best festive house, as chosen by readers.
The winner is Freda Marsh of Leaves Spring, Stevenage with 50 per cent of the votes from our online poll.
Freda who has always got into the festive spirit each year by lighting up her parents house said this year she wanted to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital because her nine–year–old sister, Florrie Elmahdy receives treatment from the hospital for a breathing problem.
The 18-year-old raised more than �160.
The A-level student said: “We have had a fantastic response from neighbours and other members of the public.
You may also want to watch:
“People have knocked on our door while they have been walking past and it really bought the whole community together.
“People who come by have made a donation and that money will go to the hospital as a little thank you for their help in looking after my sister.” Freda added.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
Each year the family put up Christmas lights and this year Freda decided to go all out. Freda was given a helping hand from her uncle, Matthew Marsh to put the lights up on the house.
“My sister is so overjoyed by the response, and she is so pleased that we have managed to raise the profile of the hospital and the work they do,” she added.
Freda said her sister was so touched by the donations made by people that she almost cried.
The Christmas lights went on from December 1 each day from 5pm and 10.30pm.
They will be coming down this week Freda said.
The money will go towards toys for children to play with when they visit the London hospital.
Our 14 finalists were featured on our website, after readers sent in their snaps with our Comet snapper also spotting some of our finalists on his travels.
An online poll, which on Monday afternoon determined our winner.