Residents urged to record Luton Airport noise from aircraft
- Credit: Archant
Residents gathered last week to voice their concerns following the decision by the Government to not call in the planning application for the expansion for Luton Airport.
The meeting, chaired by Luton and District Association for the Control of Aircraft Noise (LADACAN), was held at Breachwood Green Village Hall on Thursday, May 29.
About 50 people attended and were encouraged by LADACAN to record aircraft noise to illustrate the increased impact an extra 55,000 flights a year would have on those living nearby,
Last month Eric Pickles, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, decided not to call in the expansion application – which would also see passenger capacity rise from 12.5 million to 18m a year by 2026.
The decision, which has been widely criticised by Comet country MPs, means the planning application for the expansion can now be granted by Luton Borough Council – which owns the airport.
Speaking about the meeting, Andrew Lambourne from campaign group Hertfordshire Against Luton Expansion (HALE) said: “The meeting gave people the chance to find out where things currently stand with the planning application and raise their concerns. A high level of frustration was expressed that it appears so little can be done to head off the quality-of-life impact of the Luton Airport expansion.”
Some of the issues that were raised were the number of night flights, the level of noise both during departure and arrival, road congestion, air quality and climate change and the general safety risk.
- 1 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 6 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 7 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 8 Rose: 'Five subs mean it is more a team thing and we've utilised that'
- 9 National award for Hitchin property company
- 10 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
People concerned about aircraft noise or flights are asked to record the details and email email@example.com