Residents urged to record Luton Airport noise from aircraft
- Credit: Archant
Residents gathered last week to voice their concerns following the decision by the Government to not call in the planning application for the expansion for Luton Airport.
The meeting, chaired by Luton and District Association for the Control of Aircraft Noise (LADACAN), was held at Breachwood Green Village Hall on Thursday, May 29.
About 50 people attended and were encouraged by LADACAN to record aircraft noise to illustrate the increased impact an extra 55,000 flights a year would have on those living nearby,
Last month Eric Pickles, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, decided not to call in the expansion application – which would also see passenger capacity rise from 12.5 million to 18m a year by 2026.
The decision, which has been widely criticised by Comet country MPs, means the planning application for the expansion can now be granted by Luton Borough Council – which owns the airport.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about the meeting, Andrew Lambourne from campaign group Hertfordshire Against Luton Expansion (HALE) said: “The meeting gave people the chance to find out where things currently stand with the planning application and raise their concerns. A high level of frustration was expressed that it appears so little can be done to head off the quality-of-life impact of the Luton Airport expansion.”
Some of the issues that were raised were the number of night flights, the level of noise both during departure and arrival, road congestion, air quality and climate change and the general safety risk.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
People concerned about aircraft noise or flights are asked to record the details and email firstname.lastname@example.org