Residents fail with listing application for threatened homes

ATTEMPTS by residents to stop their homes being demolished by requesting listed building status from English Heritage have been thwarted. An application to list the aluminium prefabs in Campfield Way and Highover Road in Letchworth GC has been rejected. T

ATTEMPTS by residents to stop their homes being demolished by requesting listed building status from English Heritage have been thwarted.

An application to list the aluminium prefabs in Campfield Way and Highover Road in Letchworth GC has been rejected.

The application was made by Highover and Campfield Residents' Association, and supported by Letchworth Garden City Town Council, after North Hertfordshire Homes announced plans to demolish the buildings and redevelop the site.

Jean Fish, spokesman for the Highover and Campfield Residents' Association, said: "Obviously we are disappointed. Some of the facts they have based their decision on were incorrect. We are planning to appeal against the decision."


You may also want to watch:


Richard Bowran, clerk for LGCTC, said: "The application for listing was made to secure for the residents, and for the nation's heritage, one of the last remaining largely unaltered groups of housing of this type.

"The residents' association is applying for a review of the decision, which can only be undertaken if there were errors of fact or process made in coming to a decision. The town council believes this to be the case and so is lending its support to the call for a review."

Most Read

But not all residents are disappointed at the news.

Stuart Concannon, 29, a member of the Campfield and Highover Pro-redevelopment Group, said: "We have successfully fought the listing application and we are obviously delighted it has been turned down.

"We obviously hope the appeal will not be granted.

"North Hertfordshire Homes are moving forward with their designs for the new development. All residents received a letter this morning (January 23) telling us the initial site plan will be available over the next few weeks.

"At the moment we are pushing North Hertfordshire Homes to move forward."

He added: "If an appeal is granted we will cross that hurdle when we come to it."

A spokesman for NHH said: "We were notified that the application to list the bungalows at Campfield Way and Highover Road had been rejected but understand an appeal has been made against the decision.

"We will await the outcome of this before any further action is taken but will continue to consult with residents on our plans for the future.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter