Residents enjoy traffic free space on Grange Estate in Letchworth GC
RESIDENTS on the Grange Estate in Letchworth GC can now enjoy a traffic free open space at the centre of their estate, thanks to a project managed by Groundwork Hertfordshire. The first phase of the transformation, completed in May 2007, included the dig
RESIDENTS on the Grange Estate in Letchworth GC can now enjoy a traffic free open space at the centre of their estate, thanks to a project managed by Groundwork Hertfordshire.
The first phase of the transformation, completed in May 2007, included the digging up and landscaping of two little used car parks either side of Pelican Way, to provide a community garden and a youth area.
For the second and final phase, a section of the road between the two areas has been dug up and attractively landscaped, thus completing the transformation from unsightly car parks to an attractive traffic free area of benefit to the whole community.
The second phase is particularly beneficial to schoolchildren and shoppers who can now cross Pelican Way in complete safety.
You may also want to watch:
The first and second phase of the project was managed by Groundwork Hertfordshire, an environmental regeneration charity, and funding for the second phase of the project was provided by North Herts District Council, WREN, North Hertfordshire Homes and Letchworth Garden City Council.
The project has been fully supported throughout by the Grange Improvement Forum which was created from the steering group brought together by Groundwork Hertfordshire at the start of the project in 2006. The time lag between the two phases was due to the time required to satisfy all the requirements to permanently close the road.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Geoff Bunce, senior community project officer at Groundwork Hertfordshire said: "I'm really pleased that we have managed to complete the project as it was originally envisaged. The design was drawn up after a lengthy consultation process and local residents were particularly keen that a section of the road should be closed and landscaped in order to provide a complete and lasting transformation of the area.
"I would also like to thank all the funders and partners that have made this transformation possible.