Residents come forward for The Hitchin Big Tidy Up
- Credit: Archant
A CAMPAIGN to tidy up a town has attracted a number of offers of help, following coverage in the Comet last week.
Hitchin Forum is urging people to come together to target what it calls “grot spots” across the town.
Under the name The Big Hitchin Tidy Up, residents are being encouraged to take part in the litter pick on the morning of Sunday, May 5.
“Not only are people notifying us of areas that need particular attention, but they are offering to help anywhere in the town which is really useful,” said Ellie Clarke, one of the organisers.
“Interestingly, so far people have suggested various footpaths that need attention. Our investigations of some of these sites indicate there are some real grot spots, so we will obviously be tackling some of those.”
The Comet is backing the campaign, with North Herts District Council and Hitchin Initiative also offering their support.
“Whether people want to join in with an organised group, or tackle their own roads along with their neighbours, we want to hear from them,” said Judith Gurney, who is co-organising the clean-up.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 9 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
- 10 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
“This is a chance to really clean up the town before the summer when people are likely to be out and about more.”
Although a date has been set for the clean-up, those who aren’t free can do the job anytime around that date.
Hitchin Forum will provide litter pickers and large bags for collecting rubbish.
To find out more, email email@example.com
• Do you know a litter hero who does their bit to tidy up the town? If so, email firstname.lastname@example.org