Renovation plans rack up �0.5m, but nothing is decided
A COUNCIL has so far spent almost �500,000 on plans to renovate a town centre shopping area but still nothing has been decided. Councillors on the Hitchin town centre working party at North Herts District Council (NHDC) have so far paid out �489,000 on p
A COUNCIL has so far spent almost �500,000 on plans to renovate a town centre shopping area but still nothing has been decided.
Councillors on the Hitchin town centre working party at North Herts District Council (NHDC) have so far paid out �489,000 on plans to improve the Churchgate area of the town but have yet to decide on a preferred bidder for the development.
And the council has said this figure could reach �600,000 before a developer is chosen from the two remaining bidders - a decision due some time in August - although an estimated �200,000 could be clawed back.
The figures, originally kept secret, have left one opposition councillor asking whether they are throwing good money after bad.
You may also want to watch:
Costs were revealed after David Billing, Labour councillor for Oughton in Hitchin questioned the confidentiality.
Cllr Billing said: "This working party has 'worked' very slowly for two years to little end, other than find itself in an economic downturn where the likelihood of any developer wanting to develop Churchgate and the adjacent area is realistically much reduced or remote. Yet the working party persists in trying to select a developer. Is it time to call a halt to what seems very likely to be wasted spending?"
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
A council spokesman said: "The money spent on the Churchgate development has been spread over a long period of time, from as early as 2001.
"Although we are going through an economic downturn at present, developers will be looking at the future - the fact that we have two developers going forward to the final stage contradicts Cllr Billing's statement.
Cllr F John Smith, leader of the council and chair of the working party, said: "Sorting out the centre of Hitchin has been a protracted process but we are now making real progress. Cllr Billing's intervention suggests there is a county council election coming up.