Refurbishment work completed on Hitchin Swimming Centre
- Credit: Archant
Refurbishment works on a swimming centre totalling £1.8 million are now complete following months of delays.
The renovation of Hitchin Swimming Centre, which started in September 2013, was due to be completed in January but customers of the facility in Fishponds Road were told that works would not be finished until end of April.
The project, which has been funded by both North Hertfordshire District Council (NHDC) and Stevenage Leisure Limited (SLL), includes a newly designed ‘Changing Village’, which offers upgraded facilities for pool users and replaces the outdated facilities which have been in use for more than 20 years.
The majority of the male and female-only areas have been replaced by six family cubicles and two group changing areas.
The private male and female showers and toilets will still be available and the shower zones offer a rinse down area.
You may also want to watch:
The delay was a result of technical issues arising from a replaced drainage system which is causing problems to the tiling works.
Vaughan Watson, head of leisure and environmental services at NHDC, said: “We appreciate that customers of Hitchin Swimming Centre have experienced some temporary disruption while the works have been carried out and we really appreciate their patience. The finished modern changing facilities are a vast improvement and we are sure that the local community will love the finished result.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
Ian Morton, managing director at SLL, added, “We would like to thank the members and users at the centre for their support during the building works, and we look forward to giving them a better customer experience on each future visit.”