Rediscover passion for sport courses starting in Letchworth and Hitchin
NORTH Herts District Council is organising a series of Get Back Into courses to help people rediscover their passion for sport. Designed for people of all levels and abilities, the emphasis is on having fun and getting fit at the same time. Starting on Ma
NORTH Herts District Council is organising a series of Get Back Into courses to help people rediscover their passion for sport.
Designed for people of all levels and abilities, the emphasis is on having fun and getting fit at the same time.
Starting on May 6, the Get Back Into courses are perfect for adults who want to try their hand at a new sport, or for those who want to get back into a sport they haven't played since school such as rounders, squash or netball.
The courses are part of the Love to Move campaign, launched by Herts Sports and Physical Activity Partnership, which recognises that some people are more motivated to stay active when they take part in a sociable sport, rather than go to the gym or take up jogging.
Lynn Saville, the council's head of community and cultural services, said: "We all know that being active is good for our physical and mental health, but for many the idea of pounding the treadmill is too much like hard work and the thought of joining an established club or group is too frightening.
"Our Get Back Into courses aim to give people the opportunity to have fun trying different sports which they may have enjoyed in their youth, alongside others doing just the same.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 8 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
"If team sports aren't your thing, why not find out what's on at our local leisure centres, or be the first to dive into our outdoor pools when they open on May 29?"
To register for the courses or to find out more, contact Jess Young, sports development officer, on 01462 474257.
Events currently planned are:
Return to Rounders - North Hertfordshire College, Hitchin, starts Wednesday, May 5 for eight weeks, 6.30-7.30 pm
Get back into Squash - North Hertfordshire Leisure Centre, Letchworth GC, starts Monday, May 10 for nine weeks, 8-9 pm
Get back into Racketball - North Hertfordshire Leisure Centre, Letchworth GC, starts Monday, May 10 for nine weeks, 7-8pm