Recycling banks to be removed in North Herts
- Credit: Archant
ALL public recycling banks will be removed in North Herts next week, following the introduction of a new scheme.
North Herts District Council’s (NHDC) recycling facilities will take their last donations from the public on Monday when they are removed from 21 locations across the area.
The banks are situated at various locations including supermarkets, car parks, recreation grounds and retail parks, and are being removed due to the new kerbside recycling service introduced by the authority earlier this year.
The new service, which was rolled out across the district in stages, means all recyclables are now collected from the kerbside.
It has attracted a mixed response from residents, particularly on the Comet’s letter pages.
Cllr Peter Burt, NHDC portfolio holder for waste, recycling and environment, said: “Removing NHDC’s public recycling banks will save taxpayers money as we no longer need to employ contractors to empty them. This is because everything that has historically been recycled at the banks can now be recycled kerbside.
“People in North Herts are already keen recyclers and now they can recycle even more right on their doorstep.”
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 4 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 10 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
Supermarkets which have their own recycling facilities for items such as plastic carrier bags and charity recycling banks for shoes, clothing and books will still be available to the public.
NHDC recycling facilities will also be available at the larger Letchworth Household Waste Recycling Centre.
To find out more about NHDC’s scheme, including FAQs and what should be recycled where, visit www.north-herts.gov.uk