Recruiting call from Hitchin charity: ‘We need more help to support teen sufferers’
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin-based charity which is the only one in the UK dedicated to championing the cause of dyspraxia sufferers is aiming to recruit more helpers.
Dyspraxia, also known as developmental co-ordination disorder, is a condition affecting physical co-ordination that causes a child to perform less well than expected for his or her age in daily activities, and appear to move clumsily.
Dyspraxia Awareness Week starts on Sunday, and the Dyspraxia Foundation, which has its offices in West Alley, is launching a national campaign to highlight the way the condition affects teenagers.
Frequently falling over, difficulty walking up and down stairs, poor hand to eye co-ordination, difficulty getting dressed and illegible handwriting are just some of the telltale signs which might indicate a problem.
But according to the Foundation it’s the emotional aspects that hit teenagers and young adults hardest.
You may also want to watch:
The charity, which also runs a helpline from its Hitchin base, has commissioned a survey to highlight the problem, the results of which will be published next week.
And a volunteer recruitment day is being organised at the town’s Sun Hotel next Tuesday, October 14.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Staff will be in the Cromwell Bar at the Sun Street hotel from 10am to 1pm.
A spokesman said: “We have volunteering opportunities available in all aspects of office and administration work, and also within the helpine answering emails and phone calls.”
Find out more by calling Lisa McCarthy on 01462 454986 or email email@example.com