‘Real blow’ as Bikefest 2014 event in Stevenage cancelled due to fire strikes
- Credit: Archant
A motorcycling festival has been cancelled due to strike action from firefighters.
Herts County Council has announced that Bikefest 2014 will not be taking place at the Fire and Rescue Training Centre in Stevenage on August 17.
The decision has been made as a result of 16 strikes organised by the Fire Brigades Union in the week leading up to the planned event.
FBU walkouts are being held every day from midday to 2pm and 10.59pm to 11.59pm from Saturday until Saturday, August 16, as a dispute with the government over pensions continues.
The county council say the strikes “will cause disruption and place additional strain” on the fire service, and do not believe they can “dedicate the resources needed to prepare for the event”.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers have also not had any guarantee that further strikes will not be planned during Bikefest itself.
Councillor Richard Thake, responsible for community safety at HCC, said: “It’s extremely disappointing that this fabulous event has fallen victim to the national dispute between the government and the Fire Brigades Union.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 9 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
“This kind of community event helps us get crucial safety messages across to a traditionally difficult to reach audience, so it’s a real blow that it won’t be going ahead.
“I know that many people were looking forward to the event, and I’m sorry for any disappointment. I’m hopeful that Bikefest will return in 2015.”
The FBU is yet to comment.