Readers get in touch with Jane
AMAZING . That is the verdict on the response by Comet readers to a young mum s appeal for fellow rheumatoid arthritis sufferers to get in touch. The Comet has been inundated with emails and phone calls after our story last week about Jane Dos Santos Def
AMAZING". That is the verdict on the response by Comet readers to a young mum's appeal for fellow rheumatoid arthritis sufferers to get in touch.
The Comet has been inundated with emails and phone calls after our story last week about Jane Dos Santos Defreitas, 29, from Fleetwood, Letchworth GC.
Mum-of-three Jane bravely spoke to The Comet about the loneliness she faces as a young sufferer of RA.
She was desperate to get in touch with other RA sufferers but had found that most support groups were aimed at elderly patients.
You may also want to watch:
But this week, readers from Letchworth GC, Hitchin, Stevenage, Biggleswade and as far away as South Africa and America contacted us to offer advice, support and friendship.
When we told her of the overwhelming response to her appeal, Jane said: "That's amazing, I'm so pleased, I really am.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
"I honestly didn't expect that kind of response. In all honesty you do feel like you're the only person in the town who's got it but there's so many people in Letchworth who have it.
"It's definitely achieved what I wanted it to achieve."
One of the readers to write in was Lisa Bush-away, 37, who, like Jane, lives on the Jackmans estate in Letchworth GC.
Lisa also has three children, and was diagnosed with another form of arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, three years ago.
She said: "I think with me what attracted me to the story is that as a mum you feel like you can't moan and I just related to how she was feeling.
"If she feels she wants to have a good moan and talk about how she feels, I'm more than happy to talk to her.
"I just wanted her to know she's wasn't alone."
* If you would like to get in touch with Jane, ring The Comet on 01438 866200 or email editorial@the comet.net