RAF centenary marked by servicemen, veterans and dignitaries in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Dignitaries including Lord Trenchard and MP Sir Oliver Heald were on hand to help mark the centenary of the RAF in Letchworth.
The Letchworth, Hitchin & District branch of the Royal Air Forces Association celebrated the occasion at the Letchworth Conservative Club.
Past and serving members from RAF Henlow and JFC Chicksands were there, as were Air Vice-Marshal Alan Merryman and RAF Henlow commanding officer Wing Commander Mark Clulo.
North Herts District Council chairman Alan Millard and Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation chairman Colin Chatfield also helped to mark the centenary.
Veteran members of the branch brought memorabilia of their time in the RAF, causing much interest and in some cases amusement to the serving members.
Branch secretary Ken Needham was presented with an award for producing the RAFA branch newsletter adjudged the best in the south-east.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 7 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 8 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 9 Golfers raise £11k to help sick children and dying patients
- 10 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store