Quick-thinking Avril, 10, raises Stevenage garage fire alarm
- Credit: Archant
A quick-thinking 10-year-old girl who spotted a late-night garage fire and alerted her dad has been praised for her actions.
Avril Taylor, of St Margarets in Stevenage, spotted ‘mist’ in the garden at around 1am on Christmas Eve.
She then told her dad Dave, who went to investigate a row of garages behind their house and found one ‘well alight’.
They called the fire service who arrived and put the flames out using a hose reel.
“It was down to Avril’s quick reactions,” said Dave. “It could have been much worse if she had not spotted it.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the fire service said that the fire appeared to have been started deliberately.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 10 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings