Queen will visit Hitchin and Lister on Jubilee tour
The Queen will visit Hitchin and officially open the new Lister Hospital maternity unit on June 14 on her Diamond Jubilee tour it was announced this afternoon.
Her Majesty will first arrive with the Duke of Edinburgh at Hitchin Market Place at 10.45am, where they will meet shopkeepers and watch a presentation by schoolchildren.
The Queen will then go on to Stevenage for 11.15am where she will open the newly-named Diamond Jubilee Maternity Unit at Lister Hospital. While she is there the Duke will visit the Business and Technology Centre in the town.
The royal party will then go on to Hatfield House.
Stevenage was always part of the Jubilee tour, but the inclusion of Hitchin was only announced by Buckingham Palace today.
You may also want to watch:
Keith Hoskins, Hitchin town centre manager, said: “It’s fantastic news for Hitchin to have this visit, particularly given the long association with the late Queen Mother. We are all absolutely thrilled.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?