Purse, card and mobile phone taken in spate of thefts targeting the elderly in Hitchin and Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A purse, a cashcard and a mobile phone have been taken in a spate of thefts from the elderly in Hitchin and Letchworth over the past week – and police have now appealed for witnesses.
The first theft took place on Saturday, September 10, between 11am and noon at Morrisons in Broadway, Letchworth, when a 73-year-old woman had her purse taken from her bag.
Two days later, on Monday, a man in his 80s had a man bump into him ‘in a forceful manner’ at the Oxfam shop in Hitchin’s Market Place, at about 11.10am. He later realised that his cashcard had been taken and used in several shops without his knowledge.
The thief in this case is described as a man aged between 40 and 50, about 5ft 9in tall and with short brown thinning hair. He was wearing dark clothing.
On Wednesday, in Hitchin’s High Street, a 68-year-old woman had her mobile phone taken from her handbag without her knowing at some point between 4pm and 6pm.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Duncan Sales said: “In these cases offenders have taken items without the victims realising or have distracted them.
“I would appeal to everyone to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“I would also appeal to members of the public, particularly the elderly, to ensure their valuables are secure and to be mindful of those around them.”
Anyone with information about any of the incidents above should contact 101, quoting the relevant crime reference number.
The reference number for the Saturday’s incident in Letchworth is G2/16/1784. Monday’s theft in Hitchin is G1/16/2291, and the theft on Wednesday is G1/16/2321.
Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or use their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org.