Pupils proud to be involved in work experience week at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital
- Credit: Archant
More than 70 school pupils from across Hertfordshire have taken a step towards working in healthcare by taking part in a work experience week at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital.
The pupils who are all interested in following careers in healthcare, attended the week-long programme of activities and experiences run by East and North Herts NHS Trust and Health Education East of England.
Pupils were able to access areas of the hospital’s work including stroke, maternity and cancer care.
They were greeted by the Trust’s chief executive, Nick Carver, at the start of the week and the programme finished with lunch under a marquee outside Lister’s main entrance.
Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland was able to join students and the staff for the meal, where he listened to their experiences.
You may also want to watch:
Mr McPartland said: “I was delighted to be invited to come along to the Lister and meet with the students who spent the week at the hospital getting a greater understanding of what it is like to work in the NHS. “Listening to them speaking about their experience was really interesting and I do hope that they will follow through with their career ambitions to become healthcare professionals.”
Reflecting on the week, the Trust’s chief people officer, Thomas Simons, said: “The second annual work experience week has been inspiring for all involved. We know how important it is to attract young people to be proud of their local NHS and want to come and work for us. I would like to thank all of the students and schools who took part during the week. I would also like to thank our staff, whose activities have allowed the students to get a unique insight into the day-to-day management of the Lister.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket