Pupils checked for smoke inhalation after school bus drama in Shefford
A number of pupils from Robert Bloomfield Middle School, Shefford, were checked for the effects of smoke inhalation this morning after their bus suffered a mechanical failure. The bus was near the school when it stopped and the pupils were taken off and escorted
A number of pupils from Robert Bloomfield Middle School, Shefford, were checked for the effects of smoke inhalation this morning after their bus suffered a mechanical failure.
The bus was near the school when it stopped and the pupils were taken off and escorted to the school by staff.
A spokesman for Bedford Borough Council, who are responsible for the service, said: "While transporting pupils to Robert Bloomfield Middle School, one of our buses experienced a mechanical problem. This caused oil to get into the engine and resulted in smoke being generated.
"The driver carried out an immediate safety assessment and it was decided that the safest option at that point would be to continue the short distance to the school while continuing to monitor the situation.
You may also want to watch:
"As the bus approached the school the situation deteriorated quickly so the decision was taken to work with staff from the school to accompany children on foot.
"All children were safely transported to the school although we understand that a number of children have been checked for the effects of smoke inhalation as a matter of course.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
"Our prime concern is for the safety of our passengers. Officers are now working hard to fully investigate this matter and take any necessary action.