Public view sought on North Herts community halls
MEMBERS of the public are being asked for their views on the future of community halls in North Hertfordshire, after it was revealed that two in the area are likely to be closed.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) has published a strategy which looks at the current and future provision requirements in the district, including buildings that are council owned and those run by voluntary charitable trusts such as village halls.
It’s in this strategy that it announces plans to close Bancroft Hall in Hitchin and Brotherhood Hall in Letchworth GC, as previously revealed by The Comet.
The strategy addresses issues with these two venues, along with others in the area, which include repair and maintenance costs, under usage and the need to adapt to changing needs in line with housing and population growth.
“We know that residents really value their community centres and halls, but they are not all in the best of condition or serving the needs of their communities as well as they might,” said Cllr Tricia Cowley, NHDC portfolio holder for community engagement.
You may also want to watch:
“The council has produced a very comprehensive strategy that is intended to help us make the most of our community facilities whether they are in towns or villages.
“We would like as many people as possible to give their views on the strategy. The council is committed to listening what the community has to say and will give every view due consideration.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
The consultation will continue until August 18. For full details, visit NHDC’s website www.north-herts.gov.uk