Pub dates aid church
FUNDRAISING for the restoration of a 14th century church is set to receive a helping hand from a pub landlady. Aileen Graham, landlady at the Orange Tree Inn, in Norton Road, Baldock, has organised the printing of calendars featuring paintings of Baldock
FUNDRAISING for the restoration of a 14th century church is set to receive a helping hand from a pub landlady.
Aileen Graham, landlady at the Orange Tree Inn, in Norton Road, Baldock, has organised the printing of calendars featuring paintings of Baldock pubs of yesteryear which she hopes will raise £5,000 towards the appeal to restore St Mary's Church in the town.
The pubs featured include the Bull's Head and the Eight Bells, which used to be in Church Street, and the Rose and Crown and The Greyhound, which used to be in Whitehorse Street.
Mrs Graham said: "It's a local cause and it's only a small town so it's good to be able to help."
The Baldock Pubs of Yesteryear 2007 calendars will be available at £5 each from the Baldock library, the community centre, Chapman's the butchers and all the pubs in the town from next week.
The Friends of St Mary's Church are coordinating the fundraising scheme for the restoration of the building and are hoping to reach a target of £500,000 over five years.
- 1 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 2 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 3 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 4 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 5 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 6 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 7 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 8 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 9 National award for Hitchin property company
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
To become a member of The Friends of St Mary's Church call the rectory on 01462 892838.
Membership is £25 per year and all proceeds go towards the restoration fund.