Proud Hitchin mum ‘blown away’ by ballet dancing daughter with a difference
- Credit: Archant
The mother of a young girl who was unable to see at birth has spoken of her pride after her daughter performed on stage by herself.
Alex Hogan was born with a condition which doesn’t allow her eyelids to open, but after had surgery 18 months ago is now partially sighted.
The five-year-old will also be having another operation over the next year which will hopefully bring her normal sight, but mum Louise says she has noticed a marked difference in Alex’s confidence since she took up ballet.
Alex is a pupil of the Hitchin and Letchworth-based Lesnick School of Ballet and was able to show off her skills during a concert at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre.
“Alex has bilateral ptosis which affects her field vision, and also means her eyes don’t look the same as everyone else’s,” said Louise.
You may also want to watch:
“I haven’t come across too many other parents who have children with ptosis, but I’m told when she’s old enough she’ll have another operation to take a muscle from her leg to support the brow – she’s just not big enough yet.
“I’ve been blown away the confidence Alex has gained recently.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
“She’s in Year 1 at Highover School – she normally would’ve been mortified to have even spoken at a school assembly but performing ballet has given her such a confidence boost. It’s gone through the roof.
“I also think being in character is a way of her coping with performing in public.
“I am so proud of her. When I watched her it brought tears to my eyes.
“Although she has been teased a little because of the way she looks her school have been great.
“Her ballet teacher Vickie Lesnick has also been brilliant.”
Vickie said: “I was so proud of her when as she appeared on stage at the Gordon Craig Theatre for The Children’s Trust charity – at one point during one of the dances she was alone on stage, which was great!”
Alex added: “My school has got a talent show soon and I’d like to enter because ballet has given me more confidence.”