Proposal amid the popcorn: couple get engaged at Stevenage’s Cineworld Multiplex
- Credit: Archant
Most people expect to go to the pictures to see happy endings, but Ella Rowley never suspected she might find her own at Stevenage’s Cineworld multiplex.
On Thursday her boyfriend Tobie O’Dell went down on one knee in the middle of Screen 7 after a short film he made was played in the theatre.
Ella got the shock of her life when the lights went up and found the seats were filled with friends and family and Tobie, 22, proffering a diamond ring.
Ella, 19, landlady at The Globe in Codicote, said: “I was totally overwhelmed, and it took me a while to realise what was going on. I didn’t even realise until the end, when the lights went up, that the audience was made up of family and friends.
“I knew he was thinking of proposing in March and I had been annoyed before that he was not particularly romantic, so I definitely did not see this coming.”
You may also want to watch:
Tobie, who runs his own electrical business, and Ella live in Welwyn Garden City.
He started talks with the cinema in October to pull off the special surprise, and said he didn’t want to do anything traditional. He said: “Before we left she had been watching a TV show where they filmed their own proposal, and she said to me ‘Are we going to film our proposal?’ Luckily she was ill, so she was a bit dozy and didn’t guess what was going on. She is quite tough, so I think I did well to get some tears. It couldn’t have gone better.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
The couple are thinking of getting married next summer.
Ella’s mum Zoe said: “It was amazing, it was absolutely brilliant. There was not a dry eye in the house. It was a remarkable thing for him to have pulled off.”
Cineworld manager Donna Stewart said: “He wanted to do something different, something that she would not expect.
“It was absolutely amazing.”