Progress on Shefford allotment plans

PROGRESS is being made over plans to use a plot of unused land on Robert Lucas Drive in Shefford for allotments.

Shefford Town Council has been in talks with representatives of the Robert Lucas Trust, which owns the land, since late last year and, while a deal has yet to be struck, the plans are said to be “progressing quite positively”.

On Friday, mayor of Shefford Paul Mackin and a representative from the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners made a site visit.

“It was really quite good,” said Cllr Mackin. “She was quite impressed with the site. The field needs work, but it’s not insurmountable.

“It’s progressing quite positively at the moment, but it’s got a long way to go.”

He added: “We have got over 20 people who have shown an interest in having an allotment on the site, which is quite a good number considering the size of the community.”

Cllr Mackin said the site has room for about 20 to 30 plots.

Most Read

Keith Bland, clerk of trustees for the Robert Lucas Trust, said: “I don’t have any more to add. It’s a bit of a sensitive issue. It’s in the process of being agreed.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter