Prezzo restaurant closures announced
- Credit: Archant
Prezzo is set to close about a third of its restaurants, including its Stevenage Old Town outlet, but not its premises in Welwyn Garden City, St Albans, Hatfield, Hitchin, Letchworth or on the Stevenage Retail Park.
The casual dining chain is closing 94 outlets, including 33 of its Tex Mex Chimichanga restaurants, in a bid to save the struggling business.
About 1,000 jobs are expected to be lost.
Prezzo is owned by private equity firm TPG Capital and has entered into a company voluntary arrangement, which is a restructuring arrangement.
It has not gone into administration.
You may also want to watch:
Prezzo is not the first high street restaurant chain to take a financial battering.
Both Jamie’s Italian and burger chain Byron have had to restructure.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Prezzo, which is thought to employ about 4,500 people, will press ahead with trying to renegotiate rents on the premises of its continuing restaurants.